Fast forward to the future...
Bret: Are you ready to be suspended?
Steve: Not really, lots to do still.
Bret: Are you scared?
Steve: Kinda, what's the world going to be like when I come back? Twenty-seventy-two... seems like so far away.
Bret: If you come back.
Steve: Seriously, right? Leaving my lifeless hydrogen-sulfide-saturated body to the whims of pan-global politics is rather scary.
Bret: True enough, but on the bright side, no taxes on your interest income while you're suspended.
Steve: Yeah, though who knows, maybe they'll take'em on the back-side like they did to "retirement" funds a few years back.
Bret: Yep. Think you'll stay here or go to Mars when you come back? Phases three and four should be complete.
Steve: Probably here, lots of legacy stuff here to take care of. Though it depends on if this mass suspension thing works and warming is contained. Mars might be the only habitable choice. How about you, what's your plan?
Bret: Well, depends on me and Julie. If we get married, we're here. But she thinks maybe she wants to be suspended... for maybe 200 years.
Steve: 200 years? Wow, that's adventurous. Talk about re-adjustment.
Bret: Yeah, I don't think I'm down for 200 years no matter how strong my feelings for her. Seems likely the singularity comes between now and then.
Steve: Dude, the singularity happened already, get over it.
Bret: Ha, I suppose you're right. Did you see the explorer bots on Titan figured out a way to build a fusion reactor at under 100 kelvin?
Steve: Yeah, crazy. You're up for the draft next year right, if you don't get married would you just volunteer for the 20 year suspend?
Bret: Probably volunteer, get it over with. Would be cool to hang out with you 20 years from now.
Steve: Indeed.
Steve: Well, I have to run to meet with my suspension consultant, only a week left and I have a ton to do still.
Bret: Cool, if I don't see you before you go under, look me up in 20 years, maybe I'll have a year left on my suspension, maybe Julie and I will have a couple kids, or maybe
we'll do the 200 year jump.
Steve: Really, there's a chance of that? I'd like to come back and see you a Dad of a teenager.
Bret: If we do the 200 year jump, suspend yourself again at some point and jump ahead. Would love to hang out again, even if in a different time and place.
Steve: Yeah, will do. Cheers dude, I'll talk to you soon enough.
Steve: Not really, lots to do still.
Bret: Are you scared?
Steve: Kinda, what's the world going to be like when I come back? Twenty-seventy-two... seems like so far away.
Bret: If you come back.
Steve: Seriously, right? Leaving my lifeless hydrogen-sulfide-saturated body to the whims of pan-global politics is rather scary.
Bret: True enough, but on the bright side, no taxes on your interest income while you're suspended.
Steve: Yeah, though who knows, maybe they'll take'em on the back-side like they did to "retirement" funds a few years back.
Bret: Yep. Think you'll stay here or go to Mars when you come back? Phases three and four should be complete.
Steve: Probably here, lots of legacy stuff here to take care of. Though it depends on if this mass suspension thing works and warming is contained. Mars might be the only habitable choice. How about you, what's your plan?
Bret: Well, depends on me and Julie. If we get married, we're here. But she thinks maybe she wants to be suspended... for maybe 200 years.
Steve: 200 years? Wow, that's adventurous. Talk about re-adjustment.
Bret: Yeah, I don't think I'm down for 200 years no matter how strong my feelings for her. Seems likely the singularity comes between now and then.
Steve: Dude, the singularity happened already, get over it.
Bret: Ha, I suppose you're right. Did you see the explorer bots on Titan figured out a way to build a fusion reactor at under 100 kelvin?
Steve: Yeah, crazy. You're up for the draft next year right, if you don't get married would you just volunteer for the 20 year suspend?
Bret: Probably volunteer, get it over with. Would be cool to hang out with you 20 years from now.
Steve: Indeed.
Steve: Well, I have to run to meet with my suspension consultant, only a week left and I have a ton to do still.
Bret: Cool, if I don't see you before you go under, look me up in 20 years, maybe I'll have a year left on my suspension, maybe Julie and I will have a couple kids, or maybe
we'll do the 200 year jump.
Steve: Really, there's a chance of that? I'd like to come back and see you a Dad of a teenager.
Bret: If we do the 200 year jump, suspend yourself again at some point and jump ahead. Would love to hang out again, even if in a different time and place.
Steve: Yeah, will do. Cheers dude, I'll talk to you soon enough.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home