Living room web device
I like to surf the net while watching TV. I need my information fix like anyone else. Turns out recent surveys show that the average american spends 300 minutes/week surfing and watching TV. Up 72% over the past 5 years. (http://www.clickz.com/stats/sectors/advertising/article.php/3465771)
Lots of things on the web you can't get while just watching TV: live sports bets, images of cute actresses in skimpy dresses, instant messages, news, music.
Why isn't there a living room tablet designed exactly for this? Ok, the Nokia 770 exists. The PepperPad looks pretty cool too.
Reading the PR and the specs though, these devices don't seem targetted to the couch-dweller? Has Apple identified this trend yet?
Update: I just saw a Nokia 770. Cool device, but not big enough for the couch-dwelling web surfer.
Update September 11, 2007: I now have an iPhone which is a pretty solid couch-surfing device. I slightly larger version would be ideal, but the UI is top-notch.
4 Comments:
Sounds like you're looking for the Sony Location Free TV. Only available up to 12" at the moment (or stream to a laptop or PSP) but the concept's about right.
The "location-free" architecture is definitely what I want. The first device pictured looks about right though I can't find any detail. Microsoft is making waves with the Origami project, but the device shown in the leaked video is just too big and bulky. Thin is in!
Motion Computing has a device that looks just about right. Thin tablet. It gets hot and is expensive. Under $1000 I'd buy one. $1600 is too much.
The Samsung Q1 looks like my device! Can't wait for it to hit the street.
Post a Comment
<< Home